As we get older, exercise becomes more difficult. But it also becomes more important, especially if we wish to age in place.
You might spend a lot of time and money making the appropriate modifications to your home so that it’s accessible as you age, but that doesn’t necessarily mean you’ll be able to enjoy the increased access and independence if you can’t move around easily! So today, we wanted to remind you why maintaining an active lifestyle will help you age in place more gracefully.
1. You will live longer! And more importantly, you’ll have a better quality of life. When you exercise, you’re reducing the risk of health issues such as heart disease, high blood pressure, osteoporosis, digestive issues, and even cancer.
2. You will have more money! If you’re in the doctor’s office all the time, you’re probably also spending more money on medications and other medical needs. That money would be better spent doing things you enjoy!
3. You will enjoy your independence! Exercise will help you maintain flexibility, balance, and muscle mass, which will lessen your chance of falling, injury, and hospitalization. It’s much easier for your body to retain muscle mass and flexibility than to build it, especially after a long break from exercise. So start now and don’t stop as the hard work will pay off every year you age!
4. You can enhance your brain power! Yes, exercise pumps extra blood to your brain, which means it will perform better. There is research showing exercise even helps prevent dementia and Alzheimer’s disease, another good reason to take a walk right now!
5. You will have more energy! You’ve heard the saying “it takes money to make money”. Well, it takes energy to make energy too! Spend a little energy doing an activity you really enjoy (walking, swimming, yoga, golf, gardening, dancing, chasing your grandkids) and you’ll gain even more energy for other fun activities!
6. Your mood will be better! Exercise releases chemicals that help you fight feelings of anxiety and depression. So if you’re feeling lonely, lacking confidence, or just need a boost, get your body moving! Choosing an activity that you can do with a friend or loved one is an even better choice when you need to beat the blues.
7. You will sleep more! Many people report more issues staying asleep as they get older. Since sleep is so important to your overall health, it’s important that you’re not tossing and turning all night. Research shows that even moderate exercise can improve your quality of sleep.
If you want to age gracefully in the comfort of your own home, and retain your independence for as long as you can, don’t wait – start being more active today!
Please share with your friends using the social media buttons below! And if you’d like to receive our blog posts delivered right to your inbox, enter your email in the box over in the upper right corner!
Leave A Comment